A highly-motivated, detail-oriented and business focused INFORMATION TECHNOLOGY LEADER with extensive experience in the retail, restaurant/hospitality, manufacturing and transportation/logistics sectors. One who partners with business peers to understand their challenges and collaborates with them to determine how technology fits into the business solution. A continual learner that has a curiosity mindset and enjoys thinking of innovative ways to solve problems and bring new initiatives to the table. One that recognizes patterns and connects the dots. Experience encompasses all major areas of IT including the systems development life cycle, data warehousing and business intelligence, vendor management, process redesign, customer service, and leading teams of software developers. A cost-conscious and technically proficient producer, with a long-standing history of maximizing the bottom line. A motivational and communicative leader who propels a business as an industry front-runner.
JIM SANDERS IT Consulting, Germantown, Tennessee | 2015 – present
Providing IT consulting, technology review, IT roadmap and strategy for small and midsized businesses. I work with organizations to understand and solve their business problems and help them to improve their use of technology.
Perkins & Marie Callender’s LLC, Memphis, Tennessee | 2013 – 2015
Vice President, Information Technology
Led teams consisting of more than 20 professionals supporting all aspects of information technology for the enterprise consisting of corporate ERP systems (Infor/Lawson S3) back office restaurant systems, point of sale systems, infrastructure, network and support desk. Back office systems consisted of both custom developed solutions and vendor hosted SaaS solutions. Established IT Steering Committee to create a forum for understanding highest priority business objectives and ensuring executive team had insight to IT projects. Budget responsibility of approximately $6,000,000. Highlights of projects include:
- Implementation of electronic pay card and paying non-cash tips through payroll.
- Roll out of latest version of Oracle/Micros Point of Sale solution.
- Modernization of custom restaurant back office systems which support food cost, inventory, and communication with corporate store support center.
- Management oversight of key vendor relationships.
- Strategic planning for corporate ERP system upgrade.
- Upgrades to corporate WAN to increase bandwidth and support off-site disaster recovery.
Fred’s Incorporated, Memphis, Tennessee | 2007 – 2013
Vice President, Systems Development
Managed the systems development groups responsible for creation, maintenance, and enhancement of systems supporting merchandising, sales processing, data warehousing, business intelligence, and financial systems for enterprise. Oversaw budget responsibility of approximately $4,000,000. Led teams consisting of 15 professionals developing on Unisys mainframe, Windows, and SQL Server platforms. Collaborated with executive management in merchandising, advertising, store operations, pharmacy operations, distribution operations, finance, and human resources to understand business needs and evaluate appropriate information technology application solutions. Implemented the Fred’s SmartCard loyalty card to gain insight into shopper patterns and allow targeted advertising.
- Created and implemented pharmacy transfer system that saved more than $5,000,000 annually by allowing pharmacies to utilize overstock rather than ordering additional unnecessary inventory. Developed using Microsoft .net framework, ASP.net front end, C#.net and SQL Server back end.
- Developed and implemented vendor portal to provide sales and inventory information to subscribers, which generated more than $1,000,000 in subscription fees.
- Transformed data warehouse from proof of concept to mission-critical system supporting VMI, In-Stock reporting, data analytics, and provisioning of data to internal and external customers, utilizing SQL Server 2005 and moving to SQL Server 2012.
- Established online pay stubs with ADP, saving more than $200,000 annually in express shipping expenses.
- Implemented vendor managed inventory programs with several key suppliers improving in-stock performance.
- Initiated a direct store delivery system, which improved store operations and reduced shrink.
- Evaluated and implemented business intelligence tools used to develop systems and improve information provided to business users, price optimization packages to integrate with current merchandising and pricing systems, and Tier 1 ERP systems to replace legacy financial, human resources, and payroll applications.
- Interfaced legacy applications with direct store delivery system to streamline return of goods from store locations to distribution centers.
- Oversaw Lawson HRIS payroll upgrades from v8.x to v9.x for Windows and SQL Server 2008 database.
- Assisted CIO in leading IT steering committee meetings to update senior leaders on current status of IT projects and gain backing in correct prioritization of IT workload.
- Established business analytics and data provisioning group within IT that provided data warehouse and business intelligence data supporting the company in-stock program, vendor portal, vendor-managed inventory, and merchandise allocations applications.
International Paper Company, Memphis, Tennessee | 1997 – 2006
Manager, Systems Development, Information Technology | 1998 – 2006
Managed systems development groups responsible for enhancing and maintaining main order management systems, which accounted for approximately $8,000,000,000 in sales annually. Led software development teams ranging in size from four to 24 developers working in an IBM mainframe environment. Oversaw management of second-level help desk supporting order management application and multiple budgets totaling up to $4,000,000. Led people change management aspects related to transformation of IT organization to shared-services model. Managed relationships with outsourced third-party vendors. Involved in strategic business process redesign for moving IT to professional services organization. Collaborated with business users to prioritize work requests. Provided status of work in progress to business.
- Planned and reviewed business user requests to ensure the right-fit available resources to meet the business priorities.
- Modified legacy order management applications to support transportation load control centers and better interfaces to regional distribution centers.
- Interfaced legacy order management systems with third-party logistics warehouses, warehouse management systems, and corporate ERP systems.
- Integrated acquired companies’ order management systems and processes into existing systems.
Manager, IS Customer Service Information Systems | 1997 – 1998
Instrumental in bringing a process-oriented philosophy into the customer service, computing and processing services, and telecommunications areas. Responsible for communicating the importance of customer focus and customer service to technical professionals. Worked with consultants to determine and prioritize business processes to implement within the organization. Established basic metrics for the overall organization.
Federal Express Corporation, Memphis, Tennessee | 1988 – 1997
Manager, Systems Design and Development, ITD | 1990 – 1997
Managed applications development groups ranging in size from eight to 16 professionals supporting many areas of the corporation including telecommunications, properties, corporate logistics, preprint, FedEx Aviation Services, and publishing services. Evaluated business needs, recommended automated solutions and prioritized systems development projects.
- Directed project team that designed and implemented a new Tracking Number Management and Allocation System using object-oriented programming and client/server hardware platforms
- Selected hardware, software and development tools for a new client/server-based customer supply system designed to increase functionality and flexibility over the existing system
- Managed project team that enhanced the customer supply system, eliminating two days from the production and delivery cycle of new customer welcome kits.
- Led project team that created the automated system to produce the Illustrated Parts Catalog for the DC10 fleet saving the corporation approximately $250,000 each revision cycle
Senior Programmer Analyst | 1988 – 1990
Responsible for technical and programming support of the publishing services department. Support services included new application development, software conversions, project leadership, user training, VMS System management and recommending new hardware and software.
- Initiated the integration of several major systems to increase efficiency by sharing common data
- Re-engineered the Illustrated Parts Catalog system for the 727 fleet reducing the production time from 21 days to eight hours
- Engineered an extended Ethernet network between local areas in Memphis and between Memphis and Los Angeles, giving remote users access to corporate data and systems
Digital Equipment Corporation, Memphis, Tennessee | 1984 – 1988
Senior Software Specialist, Software Services | 1986 – 1988
Responsible for delivering technical consulting services to Federal Express Corporation.
- Designed and developed an automated system for managing all photocopiers within Federal Express saving the corporation approximately $4 million annually
- Migrated programs from a WANG COBOL system to the VAX/VMS environment allowing the customer to remove obsolete equipment. Existing programs were enhanced to decrease processing time
- Trained the customer’s VAX systems administration personnel allowing them to be less reliant on a vendor for support
- Selected as a 1986 Software Services Excellence award winner for outstanding performance and revenue contribution
Software Specialist, Software Services | 1984 – 1986
Delivered startup services for new customers, including installation of the operating system and layered products on new machines. Trained customers in the operation of the hardware. Other responsibilities included working with sales representatives in the area of sales support. Delivered on-site consulting services to large VAX clients in the medical and educational fields.
Ecom Systems Incorporated, Memphis, Tennessee | 1983 – 1984
Systems Application Specialist, Research and Development
Member of the design team responsible for the design and creation of a comprehensive financial application package to support credit union operations. Also responsible for VAX/VMS systems management and administration. Installed and administered UNIX operating system on VAX hardware.
- Bachelor of Arts, Business Administration, Rhodes College, Memphis, Tennessee/li>
Other Professional Development
- Karrass Effective Negotiating Workshop
- The Quality Advantage/TQM
- Managing Interpersonal Relationships
- Covey Seven Habits Class
- Kepner-Tregoe Project Management Workshop
- Client/Server Overview
- Object-Oriented Analysis & Design
- UNIX Fundamentals